This piano is currently undergoing the last stages of a full rebuild and is currently awaiting regulation and voicing.
We have also had a piano stool custom made to match by our Italian stool maker CGM which has now been hand French polished here at Forsyths to match.
Features that wowed and impressed us:
- The casework overall is stunning. It retains the original ornate fretwork music desk in the foliage style with the subtle addition of Griffin heads hidden in the centre
- It also has the original rounded, fluted, 'elephant style' legs and we have restored the collar's to give the correct shape hiding the castor's
This piano has undergone an extensive rebuild to include:
- A new wrest plank - the old one has been replaced (along with the wrest pins) to ensure reliable tuning stability for many decades to come
- The original soundboard has been restored and re-crowned (through drying out to very low relative humidity and repeated shimming with spruce), cleaning and bleaching, varnishing and appropriate Steinway & Sons decals reapplied
- The bridges have been replaced with new bridges made to the pattern of the original
- The frame has been stripped and regilded with Steinway specification gilt paint and lettering/motifs hand-painted
- The action has been completely overhauled and hammers have been replaced with brand new Renner Steinway & Sons hammers
- The piano has been fully re-strung
- The casework has been restored and hand French polished at Forsyth with a stool to match
- The keyboard has been through a deep clean and re-bushed (balance and front bushings)
- Due to the bad condition of the original ivory keys we have replaced them with a grained celluloid key top
Dating from 1898, it is the earlier Steinway Model A design having an 85 note compass (i.e. 3 less notes in the treble compared to modern 'standard' keyboards).
Length - 188 cm
Height - 96 cm
Width - 140 cm
Unsure if this grand piano will fit? Ask us to make a paper template so that you can try in your own home!
Delivery charges may apply depending on degree of difficulty and location. However, ground floor delivery is typically included provided access is straightforward - enquire now for details.
This piano is available to try in our showroom with many other pre-owned and new instruments to compare.
We usually have in stock over 40 new grand pianos, over 70 new upright pianos and an ever-changing supply of around 40 pre-owned acoustic pianos;
we are definitely worth a visit!