This instrument is now sold, if you are interested in a similar instrument please get in contact as we are in the process of rebuilding another Rosewood Steinway grand. Further details to follow.
Features that wow'ed and impressed us:
- The casework overall is stunning. It retains the original ornate fretwork music desk in the foliage style with the subtle addition of Griffin heads hidden in the centre
- It also has the original rounded, fluted, 'elephant style' legs complete with hidden castors
- The ivory-topped keys, at over 100 years old, are in superb condition. They retain their brilliant white colour, are not worn and have an extremely subtle fine grain.
- This piano also benefits from having 3 pedals including the middle sostenuto, which is particularly rare of a piano at this age
- Finally, the most noticeable feature is the colour and graining of the Brazilian Rosewood finish which is exquisitely finished in hand French polish. It is particularly stunning on the fall contrasting with the boxwood inlayed Steinway decal.
This piano has undergone an extensive rebuild to include:
- The wrest plank has been replaced (along with new wrest pins) to ensure reliable tuning stability for many decades to come
- The original soundboard has been restored and re-crowned (through drying out to very low relative humidity and repeated shimming with spruce), cleaning and bleaching, varnishing and appropriate Steinway & Sons decals reapplied
- The bridges have been replaced with new bridges made to the pattern of the original
- The frame has been stripped and reguilded with Steinway specification gilt paint and lettering/motifs hand painted
- Where necessary action parts have been replaced using appropriate Steinway pattern Renner hammers and action parts suitable for a Model A of the Steinway A1 design
- The piano has been fully re-strung
- The leather and felt bushing and components have been replaced throughout the action
- The casework has been beautifully restored and hand French polished
- The keyboard has been deep cleaned and rebushed (balance and front bushings) and the original set of ivory key tops retained.
Dating from 1896, it is the earlier Steinway Model A design having an 85 note compass (i.e. 3 less notes in the treble compared to modern 'standard' keyboards).
Despite being a piano of over 120 years old, it's tone and musical qualities belie its age!
Length - 188 cm
Height - 100 cm
Width - 140 cm
Unsure if this grand piano will fit? Ask us to make a paper template so that you can try!
Delivery charges may apply depending on degree of difficulty and location. However, ground floor delivery is typically included provided access is straightforward - enquire now for details.
This piano is available to try in our showroom with many other pre-owned and new instruments to compare.
We usually have in stock over 40 new grand pianos, over 70 new upright pianos and an ever-changing supply of around 40 pre-owned acoustic pianos;
we are definitely worth a visit!