For Soloists, SATB Chorus & Small Ensemble or Organ (with Optional Cello).
Vocal Score (English).
SATB and soloists (soprano, tenor, and two baritones), with organ or small ensemble
Chilcott's mighty setting of words from the Gospel of St John is a dramatic yet optimistic retelling of the Passiontide story. As with Bach's great Passion settings, the role of the Evangelist is taken by the tenor soloist, who provides a melodious narrative throughout the work, in arioso style. The words of Jesus and Pilate are performed by solo baritones. Within the narrative, the SATB chorus becomes a crowd or a group of soldiers, commenting on the story in short outbursts, although the larger role of the choir is to perform the four meditations and five hymns that support the story. For the meditations-two of which include soprano solos-Chilcott has selected English poems from the 13th to the early 17th centuries.The five well-known hymn texts are set to new, original melodies, which are also intended for performance by an audience or congregation.
Duration One Hour.
1. Introduction: Sing, my tongue, the glorious battle (Chorus)
2. The Garden (Evangelist, Jesus, Chorus)
3. Hymn: It is a thing most wonderful (Chorus)
4. Peter's denial (Evangelist, Woman, Peter, Jesus, Officer, Servant, Chorus)
5. Meditation: Miserere, my maker (Chorus)
6. Hymn: Drop, drop slow tears (Chorus)
7. The Judgement Hall (I) (Evangelist, Pilate, Jesus, Chorus)
8. Hymn: Jesu, grant me this, I pray (Chorus)
9. Meditation: Christ, my Beloved (Soprano solo, Chorus)
10. The Judgement Hall (II) (Evangelist, Pilate, Jesus, Chorus)
11. Meditation: Away vain world (Chorus)
12. Jesus is crucified (Evangelist, Pilate, Chorus)
13. Hymn: There is a green hill far away (Chorus)
14. The Crucifixion (Evangelist, Jesus, Chorus)
15. Meditation: Jesus, my leman (Soprano solo, Chorus)
16. Jesus dies on the Cross (Evangelist, Jesus)
17. Hymn: When I survey the wondrous Cross (Chorus)