* - Louis Vierne (1870-1937) studied privately with Cesar Franck and was appointed titulaire
Louis Vierne (1870-1937) studied privately with Cesar Franck and was appointed titulaire organist at Notre-Dame (Paris) in 1900. Numerous concert tours throughout Europe and the USA made him well-known outside France. His pupils included Marcel Dupre, whose pupil Thierry Escaich has worked on this edition.
Vierne’s organ works are masterpieces of organ music and are firm favourites in the virtuoso organ repertoire. In particular, Vierne raised the form of the organ symphony to a stylistic peak.
The famous collection of “Pieces de Fantaisie”, comprising 24 fantasy pieces in four volumes (Livres I-IV), has become internationally known. With their varying degrees of difficulty, the pieces are suitable for both professional organists as well as advanced pupils and students. The collection comprises mainly individual movements which are suitable for use on many different types of occasion.
The “Pieces en style libre pour orgue ou harmonium”, comprising 24 pieces in two volumes, are shorter and technically easier. These are “miniatures” of a rather meditative character, equally suitable for organ teaching or concert use.
- Evaluation of all available autograph manuscripts, first printed editions and previously unpublished letters
- Editorial clarification superseding the long-standing international correction lists
- Critical Commentary (Fr/Eng/Ger) and foreword (Fr/Eng/Ger) with detailed performance practice tips
- Numerous illustrations and facsimile pages
Louis Vierne - Biographische Übersicht
Zur Entstehung der 24 Pièces de Fantaisie
Die Fantasiestücke op. 51
Hinweise zu Notation und Interpretation
Pièces de Fantaisie op. 51 (Autograph, Titelseite)
Prélude (Autograph, Seite 1)
Caprice (Autograph, Seite 25)
Marche nuptiale (Autograph, Seite 44)
Pièces de Fantaisie, Erreurs du 1er livre (Autograph, Seite 1)
Brief vom 3. Oktober 1925 an Jean Huré
Pièces de Fantaisie op. 51 (1926):
II. Zur Editionstechnik
Pieces de Fantaisie Op51 Organ